Thread: Simple Question
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Simple Question

[ QUOTE ]
I never used the word crushed. I said dominated. You're off on your own adventure there.

My only point being that at certain tables, pot betting invites raises from hands that have us dominated. Compare this line to seeing a turn and trapping an unwary set holder. I'm all for being willing to get your money in, but there's no money to be made here against hands that raise us (these are the very hands that are also likely to pay us when we make a hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying you think the optimal way to play this hand is to bet half the pot, or something less than the pot, so you don't have to commit as much of your stack on the flop when you're beat?

You'd have to figure out how much fold equitly you are giving up by doing this and see if the value to be gained by keeping the pot smaller is great enough to make it your standard line. I don't think you can make that case.

Also, if you do that, then you either tip off your hand when you come out firing for the pot, or you have to bet less than the pot when you have a set so people have a harder time putting you on a hand.

If you raise the pot preflop, c-bet the pot on the flop, get raised by the pot, and call, you should still have enough left behind that when you hit the turn, a naked set isn't getting the right price to call. Most of the time you'll get called anyway though. Plus there a few cards where your equity goes up to 50% without actually making a hand on the turn.