View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Do you want to have children?

[ QUOTE ]
Which is why parenthood was possabily the correct decision for you. I find all of the items listed either neutral or negative. Most of them I see as negative. There is not a single one I view as a positive.

[/ QUOTE ]
You asked for a specific list. I provided it.
You will note that I threw in points that to many would seem "negative".

I agree with you that these things are in the eye of the beholder, in other words subjective.

I had a prof in grad school whose name was Elizabeth Sawyer XXXX.I told here I liked her name.She asked why. I replied, why do I like strawberry jam but not plum-I don't know?

The same goes for having kids. Half of all marriages fail, and divorce is difficult on children.

Being there for your kids is much more than just providing financial support. They need your time as well. And there are no g'tees that they will be healthy or smashingly prosperous. Having children is a risky undertaking whose outcome you can only partially determine.

If you don't feel/intuit that kids are right for you then I agree they aren't and I have no need to convince you otherwise or judge you.

Oprah hasn't had any children but in my mind has lived a great life.

I encourage you to live the life that is most authentic to who you are and if kids are part of that - great, if they are not - equally great. Only you can tell what an authentic life means for you.

I wish you a happy and fulfilled life.

Best