View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: **Ask a golf course employee**

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even for the non-golfer I wouldn't think that cutting cups with the instructions "find a flat spot near the middle, front or back according to the rotation" would be
fairly simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of things you can [censored] up cutting cups.

-Cut them too shallow or deep (I've seen it at [censored] courses where the cup cutter does not regulate the depth).
-Spilling dirt all over while moving the old plug and not cleaning it up.
-Not taking the time replacing the old plug so it is not level w/ the surface and thus sinks down further, or gets scalped.
-Cutting them on too severe of a slope/too close to the edge of a green.
-Not making sure the cup is perfectly upright/pin crooked.
-Not regularly sharpening the cup cutter so the edges don't become dull (cup cutters responsibility, some courses go a season without sharpening them)
-Cutting cups on stressed/diseased areas or spots with lots of ball marks
I could prolly think of 5-10 more but thats plenty, and they may sound obv but people making less than 10$ an hr that are not golfers don't rly give a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about someone who had no idea how to do it. I guess I should've clarified that. I meant for someone who has done it before, it should be very simple. I don't know, I like doing it. It's an easy job that takes a good chunk of the morning when you take your time and do it right.