View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Bad Players Tells Thread

I've played in a few home poker tournaments lately, and they seem to attract several non-players, just there to get drunk and have fun. (players invite work buddies, their wives play etc...) I was able to read these players with a few simple tells but was hoping other 2+2ers could share there experiences with reading basic non-players.
I've got a couple more of these coming up so hoping to learn a few more.

I'll start with a couple sure fire tells I used.

#1 in a multiway pot, there is a bet to you and you have a draw. If you wait a few seconds, the beginners behind you will start to get chips ready for the call. You often have pot odds to draw, where normally you would fold.
This is extremely reliable.

#2 The classic long hard stare at a flop. Yep, they missed it and are looking for outs for straights.
I don't recommend bluffing of course, since they will call with a gutter. But if you have a pair of 9s and the flop comes KQx you know you are likely way ahead.

#3 The posture change. My god its obvious when a new player has just checked there cards to find AA or KK. Eyes go big, shoulders go straight, they sit up in there chair. I even saw a guy put his hand immediately on his chips way ahead of his turn.

Last home tourney I played in those really helped me avoid trouble. If anyone has any they would like to add it would be much appreciated.