View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
So you think Girardi's slamming one of his Marlin pitchers against the dugout during a confrontation, and his telling his owner to STFU in public, aren't evidences of a little red ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonresponsive... I was responding to your claim that he was a "red ass" as a Yankee -- you wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
Girardi was a huge red-ass when he played with the Yanks, hopefully they remember how volatile he can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you failed to show he was a "red-ass" or volatile as a player (or coach) with the Yankees. AND you even overstate your nonresponsive answer. This is the story of Girardi and the pitcher:

[ QUOTE ]
Girardi was watching his starting pitcher, Scott Olsen, pick an argument with the plate umpire for shorting him one warm-up toss. Obviously distracted, Olsen promptly gave up a home run. When Olsen reached the dugout after the inning, Girardi grabbed him by the collar and pulled him into the tunnel.

"He didn't want me to worry about stuff like that anymore," Olsen said. "Coincidence or not, we've been playing well ever since."

[/ QUOTE ]

No slamming against the wall (although there is another story about Olsen being slammed against the wall by another player).

I will have to look for the story where Josh Johnson and his doctor basically said that Girardi leaving him in that game had nothing to do with his arm injury... and need for Tommy John Surgery... but all the blame thrown at Girardi eminates from Marlin's owner Jeffrey Loria -- not doctors or trainers or baseball professionals. It is unfortunate that Marchman has accepted the Loria story, but he likes to be controversial.

Which brings us back to the top. On that night in August 2006, Loria was yelling at the umpire from his seats behind home plate when Girardi told him that he wasn't helping and asked him to stop. Maybe that was a mistake -- ok, in retrospect it was definitely a mistake as Loria blew up at Girardi and nearly fired him that night. Girardi then tried to downplay the incident so that it would not effect the team. Loria never let it rest.

I won't go thru the hocus pocus of statistics, but here they fail to account for the management-induced distractions. In the last three weeks of the 2006 season, with the knowledge that Girardi was going to be booted, the Marlins collapsed... I believe they went 4-13 or something like that to finish the season and skew their record. (not to mention the fact that they started 11-31 when the team was basically dismantled after Girardi was hired and he had a roster of 20 or so rookies). Indeed, you have it backwards -- Loria is the confirmed "red-ass" and Girardi was the man caught in the bad situation at a terrible time. He was hired to manage one team and then did his best to be successful with a very different team with no experience. As Girardi has said, he went through a lot that season and learned a lot...