View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Another Stupid Peace Initiative for Israel/Arabs

[ QUOTE ]
i have not. im only informed of the things discussed within our exchange. i will go through the thread in a bit and am sorry if ive misrepresented your opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough - it just frustrates me when people assume that you have to be either totally on one side or the other.

[ QUOTE ]
i dont dispute this but since they've yet be treated like a sovereign state they obviously will constantly preach very harsh things since they've made many promises to their people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a sovereign state is no guarantee of moderation - the majority of the arab world has official media that spouts the most disguisting anti-semitism.

[ QUOTE ]
religious people get major exemptions and subsidies from the government. the major unjustified land expansions were the result of their lobby. how do you deny this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont deny that they have influence, I disagree on the extent. The state was founded on secular zionism and that remains the case today. There are certain highly vocal right wing religious groups and right wing secular groups. The fact that the religious groups get subsidies is certainly a huge point of contension for secular Israelis and something I am against, but it is irrelevant to the discussion. However, I disagree with your opinion that the state is somehow run by a behind the scenes group of religious fanatics. Im sure you know that there are many reasons Israelis believe that they should hold on to the territories that have nothing to do with a religious imperative.