View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: The rise of the fundamentalist right in America

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
idk if i would consider it to be "on the rise." there are plenty of people who are not members of the fundamentalist right, but would side with them b/c of shared religious beliefs if you drew a line in the sand. many of these people do not harbor the extremism of fundamentalists, but in the end their religion trumps all.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's another side to that coin here, Tarheel. I consider myself a devout Christian, but in many regards, I consider the fundamentalist right "Christians" in name only. If you look at much of their politics, much of it is 100% contrary to the actual words of Christ. "Fundamental" tenets such as "love they neighbor," and "love your enemies," have been lost on many people who call themselves fundamentalists. In many, many regards, the fundamentalist right acts like the Biblical Pharisees that Jesus railed on time after time for focusing on their own self-righteousness instead of loving thy neighbor, even if that neighbor sticks his dick in the wrong hole or plays poker or worships differently or even worships another god. Hell, I think even atheists have a better grasp of the story of the Good Samaritan and its implications than the average fundamentalist.

[/ QUOTE ]

You strike me as peculiarly understanding and mature for a religious person, a category of people in whom such attributes are far from celebrated.

As an atheist myself, but one with very strong moral standards, I think that among my many born-again Christian friends, I have if anything brought more closer to God by encouraging their best, kindest, most honest, and most responsible and truly Christian spiritual leanings. A number of them have told me as much too. Spirituality is not only restricted to the religious, nor is morality and basic human kindness and decency. Nor is clear thinking and open-mindedness reserved only to atheists and humanists.

Religious people, especially those of the "revealed religions," are often so rigid, dismissive, combative, xenophobic, and unkind that it is especially satisfying to see others interested in living up to what I think is a fair understanding of the messages of the revealed religion and especially Jesus are. And to what the nature of unbelievers are. It is no picnic to be demonized all one's life, and I can tell you that's what my life as an atheist has been. And Christians by and large have not acquited themselves terribly well in response. I still believe that Christians can do so, despite their worst efforts, but it is nice to see a welcoming hand still extended in the religion that purports to pride itself on love.