View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: starting hands only with + ev

Hi.

I used this when I started playing NL. It was written by Excession (I think he´s still around here someware) and posted on Bet The Pot. I think this might still be a good starting point.

Hope it helps
// M

On a 25/50c Party $25 NL Table:
• You make standard raises of $2 ($3 if 2+ limpers or from EP) with any of AA,KK,QQ,JJ and AK from any position. You call any minimum or standard raise with these except that you re-raise by another $5 if you have AA or KK.
• You will also call a minimum or standard raise with any pair looking to hit a set on the flop provided at least one of the relevant stacks are $25+ (you are always $25+ because you buy back up to is as soon as you drop below). You are sufficiently tight to fold AQ, AJ etc rather than cold-call a raise with them.
• You will also raise from LP if folded/limped to with hands like AQ,AJ, KQ, TT, 99. If you are checked to on the flop by one or two players you will make one pot-sized bet (or ¾ sized if no flush draw on board) even if you miss with these hands, but if called again you will shut up shop. This is the only time you bluff.
• You will see cheap flops from MP and LP with marginal hands including Ax s and suited connectors - but are strict with yourself about fitting or folding. If you flop a draw you will see a free card if you can but if you are in LP and checked to by the others you will bet out half to three quarters of the pot as a semi-bluff.
• If someone re-raises your top pair or two pair all-in you are prepared to let it go unless you have half your stack already in the pot. Otherwise you will bet these hands out down to the river unless a flush card drops in or the board is showing one card needed for a straight, in which case you shut up shop and fold to any significant bet.

This is pretty much ABC poker for these limits. I know it works OK as I’ve been playing in at the Party 25’s for 6 months and my roll has trebled in that time.