View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 PM

Default The Ultimate Leverage Investment Thread

Introduction

I know I started something similar with the unofficial 2+2 portfolio, but the thread got lost after I didnt update it for a few weeks when i had exams and i lost my login and password details for yahoo finance after i deleted my cookies or something like that.

sooooo....basically as im sure a lot of you have read, a lot of people have some good research on certain stocks.

what i'm hoping is that everyone puts down their stock pick(s). Also put stop loss and at what price to sell if it rises (a limit sell?).

I understand this could be viewed as freeloading, in that someone like me can't contribute much whereas others could. But I hope we could all gain from picking up ideas from others who have researched. Also if anyone who contributes wants poker advice or accountancy advice (in 3 years time) i'll try to help.

Designing the Leveraged Portfolio

Basically, I'd like to come up with a portfolio with beta-adjusted weighting (if that is correct).

I think having say 40% in long term investments (long term trends in forex, markets, commodities) and 60% in short term stocks (stock picks from 1 week to 6 months say).

Thus say 10% for a forex, 2 commodities and a market
and 5% each for 12 stock picks.

Ideal stock picks will be those which have limited exposure to a market fall. So market falling won't kill 60%. Shorting stocks are also fine (in fact good to balance).

I'm going to start off with $20k to invest once this is up and running.

So each stock I'll put in $1k and each long term instrument $2k.

If someone says they think a 10% stop loss on their stock is correct then i'd leverage at 10 times. If stop loss at 33% then 3 times leveraging.

Hope this all makes sense.

I'm going to suggest that for 2 of the long terms, from a lot of people on here for:

long gold

and from Barron:

long USD/JPY

what to do
so if you have a stock suggestion/tip please put:

1. stock symbol
2. stop loss
3. sell limit

also please if you do give a stock tip please be willing to post an update should the position change.

or if you have a long term trend change such as interest rate, forex, commodities, markets please put that down as well.

many thanks for your time. as i say i know this comes across as me trying to freeload, but ill keep everything updated, and hopefully it will be interesting for all.