View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Bad end of a straight, monotone flop, getting action

In a limit game I would often put in multi-bets on the flop with two pair, the straight, AQ, etc.

Please keep in mind I am not necessarily arguing out of absolute knowledge, but I haven't seen a convincing argument for why OP should be willing to dump money in this pot (other than maybe calling), so in a way I am playing devil's advocate and in a way my current level of NL intuition tells me that reraising is not right.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's an unraised pot and stacks are 166BB. Unless these players suck, they're not going to be raising this flop with JTo

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, raising with two pair here is completely fine. What, are you going to fold two pair to the PSB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would usually smooth call with two pair, keeping the pot small for what is a good hand but not one I want to go to war with on this board. I could also destroy my chance to hit a 4-outer on the turn. I do not feel that protecting the small pot outweighs other concerns like protecting my stack and preserving implied odds.

other points
I wouldn't compare a weak straight vs. possible FD on this board to AA preflop. AA is always way ahead (>= 4:1) of anything preflop. OP's straight is either slightly ahead/tied or totally crushed and the turn card will almost always drastically change his equity.

Once you reraise any amount, KdXx and AdXx will often push with the overlay (as would any hand that beats you).

You raise small and you give a good price. You raise big and you're committed.