View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Ask Imitation about 2years in China

Just as a sidenote to answer some questions;

1. Imitation's point of view on picking up chicks at bars is pretty irrelevent since he'd pick up anywhere since he's a mad playza. Despite this, I think even a dweeb in China can pickup because of the peacocking factor being so relevent, and because it is so easy to say cute [censored] in another language without feeling awkward (EG it's harder to walk up to a girl in a bar in your country and say 'Hey, how are you! I think you're really cute! *smile*' than it is when you're in a foreign country speaking a foreign language.

2. You seriously will not learn how to speak any useful Chinese in 6 months to a year unless you are both a) doing it at university and b) have a Chinese girlfriend. If you were INCREDIBLY self motivated / unashamed (EG you spoke broken Chinese to everyone you met and just refused to speak English even if it made your life living hell), that would probably replace having a GF. I saw a Chinese girl for about a year and studied Chinese at University for a year and a half, both in Australia, and when I went to Guangzhou, I was a total pleb with 0 communication skills, although I think the deep end approach does help.

3. There's way more drug use and clubbing than you'd expect in China; the partying reminds me a lot of what I'd seen and heard about partying in Japan, but I hadn't expected it at all in China.

4. I'm very omniverous, like hot (spicy) food, enjoy 'chinese' food at home, but hate the food in China. I don't know why. It's all based on spicy meat with rice, and some small amount of steamed green vegetables. Most people will pick out the green vegetables and eat the spiced or flavoured pork or chicken (which are the major meats eaten imo?).

My point of view is a little whack though; I've only seen a couple places and didn't spend that long there.