View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: The rise of the fundamentalist right in America

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, 'Under God' was put in the Pledge during the Eisenhower Administration as an affront to Communism. The founders acknowledged a Creator so I don't have a problem with God being mentioned as long as the government doesn't mandate church attendance or belief in said God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Article 19, section 1 of the Arkansas Constitution: Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.
No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court.

I don't think a lot of people no this, but if you are an Atheists you cant run for office Arkansas and a few other states.So in essence the government of those states are mandating church attendance and a belief in a God.

I wonder how people who believe in god would act if the shoe was on the other foot and they were not allowed to run for office in a state unless they denied god.I imagine that it would not go over to well with the fundamentalist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I were more surprised by this. But if true, it is merely the legislative embodiment of what is already clear -- neither Christians in general nor this supposedly free and unprejudiced nation are willing to live without prejudice, contempt, and the elimination of civil rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

About half way down the page are most of the laws that are against atheist holding office.I no it's wiki but its kind of late and i need to get some sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrim...ainst_atheists

The laws discriminating against atheists are mostly older laws that are unconstitutional and would be overturned if they were challenged.I do believe though if fundamentalist's had their way these laws would be upheld.Not that it really matters it's clear that nonbelievers could never get elected to any major office anyway.