View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Absolute Cheating

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think about this logically. None of the superuser accounts ever played multiple tables, either in tournaments or in cash games, even though the guy had access to five separate accounts - and Potripper didn't cheat on the first hand he got moved to the FT. We can be sure that this visual aid, whatever it was, is an outside program that doesn't overlay itself over the AP window.

But if it's a program, why not just run multiple copies of it, even on another PC if you have to, to allow you to multitable? A hacker with 2 computers can just buy a few more and run it on extra machines, can't he?

Answer: because it's not a program. It's a login/password that allows you access to a superuser account on the AP server that can only look at 1 table at a time, and the reason the cheater only played 1 table was because he only had the one login/PW combination. There's no way something like this allows you to log in twice with the same ID, so...either a hacker used social engineering with a critical security guy at AP, or it's an inside job. Either way, it's an internal program that was compromised.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty good deductive reasoning, but it's not conclusive. Another possible explanation has already sort of been floated in that the cards might not be shown in a GUI, and he/they have already demonstrated sucking at poker so maybe they can only keep up with one table at once. Not saying you are wrong, just that this specific piece remains speculation. Very well-founded and reasoned, but still speculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. It is silly to think that this would be in GUI form unless it was a superuser account created by Absolute I will admit that I have no hacking experience, but it would seem to me that if you were trying to hack the holecards that it might be a lot more complicated than simply running a program that points to a specific table and just spits out the packets that are sent to other players. I would think that you would have to continually be adjusting the attack, maybe each hand if you are attacking a vulnerability in that the HHs are saved to Absolute's servers in real time (which also might explain away a few of the questionable preflop actions from EP e.g. 99 vs QQ), maybe whenever new players join the table. I don't know, but none of it seems conducive to multitabling. I still don't buy that it has to be an inside job because of the non multitabling.

Fell