Thread: 68s monster pot
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: 68s monster pot

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
normally, i'd raise no less than 89s there.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

lol? nice response. well thought out.

so you dispute that we have an equity edge in the CO with 89s versus 5 bad, loose live limpers? so you dispute that it's not worth buying the button for the extra sb pf? and possible get a free card on the flop?

i'm not sure because all i read was "lol".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a marginal raise.Personally, I think this style of play just isn't practical though for live players.
Live players should try to minimize their variance while not sacrificing significant edges.
That way, you can have a more steady income, and move up aggressively in limits. Even small increases in your hourly standard deviation have huge effects on your bankroll requirements. Personally, I like being able to play with 200bb and a 2% risk of ruin.

If you don't really care about that stuff, then raising can be fine, but there are also strategic drawbacks to it.

Namely, when you flop a medium strength hand (which is what you will flop most of the time), you will be in a lot of trouble for 2 reasons:

1. You will be unable to protect your hand
2. You will be tied onto the pot, forcing you to draw to what may easily end up being a 2nd or 3rd best hand

I'll admit that I don't have a method for quantifying the pros and cons of playing a larger pot in this situation with this hand versus these opponents.

Certainly, there is value to getting a free card on the flop, and buying the button, and I think your equity should be fine so it is a play that should be considered at least some of the time.