Thread: Honor Systems
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Honor Systems

I live in Berlin, which uses a modified Honor System for its excellent public transportation system. You buy a ticket, you stamp it in the machine (to show when you started your journey) and you get on the train/bus/tram. There are no turnstiles, there are no ticket takers. Many U-Bahn (subway)stations won't have any employees around at all. There are roving inspectors, but very few and you can often spot them in advance (big butch women with crappy haircuts and black windbreakers). Even though it's very easy to get away with not paying, most people still pay.

A ticket across town cost 2.10, and the fine for getting caught without one is 40 Euros. Since you are likely to go a lot more than 20 rides without being asked for a ticket, riding without one is clearly +$EV. However, there are other considerations.

I've noticed that riding without a ticket turns me into a nervous wreck. I don't know whether it's guilt over scamming the Honor System or worry over getting caught. Whatever it is, I've decided that saving 2.10 on the infrequent times I ride public transport (I usually take my bike everywhere) just isn't worth the hassle. I'd rather pay the money and read my book in peace than save the money and stress out.

Do any of you have experiences with other Honor Systems on such a large scale?
Or can you think of situations in which a large scale Honor System might work?

What do you think the primary motive is for people who decide to play by the rules?
Would large-scale Honor Systems work in cultures that don't have a long history of obeying the law/following the rules?