View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Any advice from OOT Traffic School? (MS Paint included)

So I made these awesome MS Paint drawings last week when I was waiting for software to install and forgot to post them. I think ticket/accident threads need MS Paint to make them somewhat OK instead of mostly sucky.

My girlfriend is on her way to work waiting to turn left at a T way intersection. Light turns yellow, then red, so she clears the intersection and whammy! Her < 1 year old car is nearly totalled. The other driver hit the rear right corner of her car. Also, the road curves about 200-300 yards ahead of the light. Speed limit is 45 MPH.

This happened in Texas. From some of the laws I've read it may be my girlfriend's fault as they are worded to like "proceed if it is safe to do so without resulting in a hazard or accident."

I couldn't find anything mentioning what happens after the light has changed red, however. This may be a moot point as the other driver claims she remembers only seeing a yellow light. She was nice, and apologized to my girlfriend after hitting her, and even admitted to speeding. She wouldn't admit this once the police showed up.

Nobody was ticketed for the accident. The cop mentioned he thought what my gf did was OK. Two friends I talked to about it, who are from the area (Austin), remember being taught in traffic school that waiting in the intersection to turn left, and clearing it on a red was legal.

Notes on the drivers:
The other girl was driving without a license, and may not even be legal to be in the country.
My girlfriend has a 100% clean driving record for the 8 years she's been driving.

My girlfriend mentioned they are trying to sue her now in an attempt to change her statement to saying the light was yellow.

So is my girlfriend screwed? The other car was insured by progressive. She is insured by All State. There are some further complications due to her recent move and the plan being purchased in Wisconsin, but I think that's irrelevant to this discussion. It may be relevant to her as she may be on the hook for whatever the other driver's insurance company does not pick up. The progressive agent yelled at her and was a world class a-hole before eventually admitting they would probably take at least half of the liability. My gf did a pretty good job of standing up to this guy pressuring her, trying to twist her words and yelling at her. Way to go Progressive.

Anyone have experience or advice for a situation like this?