View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Alcohol Tolerance Hypothetical

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
interesting question.

im gonna guess that binge drinking will be worse for you in every way, including producing more tolerance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Producing tolerance isnt really worse for you. Like I said, tolerance is mostly a function of increasing the amount of enzymes in your liver that metabolize and get rid of all the alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm operating solely on intuition, but (which obv isn't worth much in science) even if it is only happening once a week, shouldn't the fact that clone b's liver is breaking down all that alcohol in a short time count for something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, probably. The thing is, alcohol is a very small molecule, so there are tons of individual alcohol molecules in every drink (way more than, say, the number of molecules cocaine or THC in a comparable sized sample) and since each molecule takes up one enzyme, these enzymes are VERY rapidly saturated. Alcohol is one of the very few substances that are cleared by the body according to "zero order" kinetics, and this is exactly why. So, even moderate amounts of alcohol keep these enzymes constantly saturated.

Like I said, though, I honestly dont know the answer to this, and a very rapid search of the literature didnt come up with any answers for me. So I'm really just trying to reason it out and I might very well be wrong.