View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: How Kenny Tran Rates Internet Players

[ QUOTE ]
until those kiddies keep thinking of the game like it's only for money, it won't ever have a reputation of a real sport, cause they will always be afraid of playing the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a sport anyway, but I bet poker is getting more time on ESPN than most sports.

[ QUOTE ]
You can't compare it to tennis, or golf, cause there are the best competing the best and not avoiding them

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's the best way to make money in those endeavors. It's not like these guys are getting to choose from sixty different tournaments in a given week. If you want to make a lot of money at tennis, you will end up playing the best players.

There is also no entry requirement other than money to move up stakes in the poker world. It's not like guys on golf's Nationwide tour can just declare that from now on they're playing on the PGA Tour even if it costs them money. A lot of players are trying to get money to move up, and a lot of them have moved up too fast and too far. There is a TON of ego/pride in poker.

[ QUOTE ]
If you talk to Roger Federer, or some other athlet about what they are doing, they will talk about anything but the "money they are making", they will talk about it just if they getting asked to, but it isn't there goal in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger Federer is dominating tennis (in a way that no poker player could destroy poker, incidentally). Of course it's about the challenge for him, because he is rich as hell anyway and only really needs to worry about his legacy. Besides that, he's maximizing his income by playing all the majors and stuff.

If you told struggling tennis players there would be a more lucrative but less prestigious tour, I bet most of them would jump to it.

[ QUOTE ]
the thing is i never thought like that, and i do think that online players do have mathematical abilities, probably better then the live players abilities, but they are just so bad in other aspects, which i found are maybe more important, and that's why i think the best players are the live proffesionals.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of players are motivated to move up in stakes and beat the competition. And how do you know if you've beaten the competition? When you win money!

Have you ever played with really topnotch online guys? I'd wager you haven't, so I don't see how you're qualified to say how they're "so bad" at anything.