View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: How good are pitchers compared to the average Joe

JaredL,

-Most big league pitchers were once hitters at one point in their career. What makes them "fail" is that they lose the skill movements necessary to get to the ball b/c they aren't doing it everyday anymore--they are throwing everyday instead. NL pitchers hardly hit, they mostly bunt...the difference between AL pitchers and NL pitchers is only that NL pitchers are seeing live pitching more often, that is all.

[ QUOTE ]
The main question I have is how good is the average NL pitcher at hitting compared with an average guy that say plays rec baseball or softball? What about the best high school hitters? Average college hitter? Would they bat 9th in most single A minor-league teams or perhaps a bit higher?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, they aren't even close to a Class A minor league hitter. Crazy to even think so. Think of it this way, the middle order HS hitters are generally who play college ball, the middle order college players are generally who is drafted. So in the minor leagues everyone can hit--from there these things have to happen 1) no injuries 2) sharpen skills some 3) money invested in the player and 4) luck.

For the rest of the comparisons it is hard b/c I guess it is all how you define "average college hitter." Since a ton of big league pitchers were excellent athletes/hitters at some point and they are seeing big league pitching each outing then I am no doubt going w/ the big league pitchers over "average" college hitters--not good or great college hitters and absolutely over HS and rec ball guys.

Also, most people don't realize how hard it is to hit an 80 mph fastball. Now turn that up to 95, change the angle to downward (big league pitchers throw at a tough downward angle), add exceptional off speed pitches and the avg Joe doesn't TOUCH a ball in 1000 swings so you can throw luck out of the equation.