View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: The folly of prescriptions

I've said before that I'm in favor of legalizing all drugs. Regarding medicinal drugs, I would keep the FDA, but make its role advisory. Unapproved drugs would be use at your own risk. Those with a significant abuse potential would be handled like liquor, sold by licensed stores similar to liquor stores. Over-the-counter drugs would be handled pretty much as they are now. Prescription drugs would be labeled as such, but you would be able to buy them, with the proviso that you assume the risk of doing so. If you die or get ill through use of a prescription drug (or an unapproved drug) that you use without prescription, you (or your spouse or relatives if you die) don't have any right to sue the manufacturer or the pharmacy that sold you the drugs. Same if you mis-diagnose yourself and take the wrong medication. Insurance companies could choose not to pay for the use of unprescribed prescription drugs or unapproved drugs -- their choice.

We already have an unregulated medicinal market -- herbals and supplements. Most of these are crap, but some work (I find zinc lozenges very helpful in reducing the severity of colds).