View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

1. How you are currently improving your game

I think that one of the best ways to improve a game besides thinking through the hands is to actually put in the time and play. Practice and thinking through the hands makes perfect. Having said that, I have not played since the Fall of 2007 (besides trips to AC and Foxwoods) because I was busy applying for jobs, classes and college sports. Now that I work full-time, I will start playing again in the evenings and on weekends.
Despite the fact that I do work, my passion for poker never ceased. I have been reading a number of blogs online, as well as the strategy posts on 2p2 in both LHE and NLHE forums. The recent poker book that I bought and finished reading about a week ago was Stox's book on short-handed LHE.
About a month ago I renewed my membership at Cardrunners.
I constantly talk about hands and discuss scenarios with a few co-workers that play poker semi-regularly and have been seriously considering getting a coach in the NYC area. Unfortunately, I still can't settle on anybody just yet and this seems like perfect opportunity. I think that coaching is an incredible opportunity to jump start anyone's poker game.
In 2004 I had my first tutoring session with a high limit player on party (back than this was uncommon and I think I was his second student). We had three brief sessions which had a huge impact on my game. That summer I made over 35k in MTTs and I attribute all of my success to him.

2. Your poker goals.

In short, I want to improve and get a lot better. As I get back into poker I want to be comfortably beating 2/4 NLHE as well as 5/10LHE and up.
I am very determined and Id like to plug my leaks asap and be able to successfully exploit other's.
I need to improve post flop play, especially on later streets.
I need to improve my discipline, BR management and be honest with myself regarding poker (not mix poker winnings with actual salary).
I am willing to work as hard as necessary to accomplish these goals.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

I am going to redeposit and start out at 1/2 NLHE as well as 3/6 LHE full ring.
I have played exclusively STTs and MTTs from 2003-2005 when I was in college, making around 30k during that time and have played cash games ever since, with the bulk of the hands logged at 1/2NLHE and 5/10 LHE HU.
My biggest day was a 300euro with rebuys tournament in Madrid where I placed second for 22k euroes (lost hu with 2/1 chiplead). I was staked for this tournament and spent 1.5k euroes on entry fees, so I only got half of the 22k cash.
Best month when I was playing MTTs online was 27k. Best cash month was +10k playing 1/2 and 2/4 last summer. My worst month was -8k right after that.

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

Although I have been an avid reader of 2p2 and a number of online poker blogs, I do not really have any poker posts that I am "proud off". All the poker-related posts I have are when I was trying to regain my confidence and rebuild my roll after that -8k month. If you find these helpful, feel free to look through them.

5. A little about yourself.
Graduated from college this spring with a degree in Econ and International Relations. As of July I live in NYC and work at a hedge fund. Most of my time is preoccupied with work, catching up friends and thinking (hopefully playing soon) about poker.

If you need additional info, let me know.