View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Really Tough Spot in FTP 30rebuy

My instinctual reaction oddly enough was to check behind on the turn. Not only does it make it a lot harder to get stacked (he basically has to now check raise the river just to have a chance at stacking us since we are just calling a river bet), but we also gain a lot of equity from bluffs IMO.

Part of the problem is the fact that he minraised. I think that makes AK less likely, but makes pairs (both big and small) and Axd more likely. I would be a lot more happy to get it all-in on the turn vs a checkraise if he just made a normal raise preflop.

I think it's very close between checking and betting the turn. I guess I don't know what a low stakes players' range here preflop is well enough to decide. If it isn't very likely that we are beat then we should probably just get it in since there are a lot of cards that can come to either beat us, or kill our action, and sometimes even lose us the pot when we have the best hand. However, I think it's very likely we are beat (very likely does NOT mean > 50%).

Preflop is fine. Reraising is fine too, but it should be biggish. The reason is that we want to know that if he calls, there's a good chance he has QQ+ and can shut down. If we reraise small we don't get that info because he might call with a wider range of hands, and we would have to c-bet most flops. Obv fold to 4 bet. And no, we are not turning our hand into a bluff by doing this, because sometimes we will stack AA or KK if he decides to just call, especially if we take our free card on the flop (even when we hit 1 pair or a flush draw).

Folding the flop would be terrible IMO.