View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Ron Zook >>>> Charlie Weis

though he drives me crazy, Zook does seem more adept at the college game than Weis

what's overlooked about Zook is the great job he did in developing mediocre talent on the defensive side of the ball

the improvement from the 2005 Illini defense to the 2006 Illini defense blew me away....the only recruit that helped was Vontae Davis (who [censored] rocks!)

still, one CB is not the difference between
2005 39.5 ppg 23 first downs 5.5 ypc 67% passing for opponents
2006 26.8 ppg 17 first downs 3.3 ypc 55.5% passing for opponents

the Zooker coached the defense up HUGE
I have yet to see Weis do anything with his defense

I'm not willing to say Zook is better yet
He still boggles my mind sometimes
I think he was pretty lucky this week even with bringing in McGee when he did and kicking that 47 yd FG into the wind on 4th and 2
However, he made great adjustments to the defense after Morelli absolutely torched the Illini D for 40 minutes

Oh yeah.....haha at all the ND hate for Benn choosing Illinois saying he'd never be a winner and never get the spotlight. Benn seems like a pretty smart guy right about now. Glad he's finally healthy enough to return kicks!

BTW---Illinois had a boatload of recruits at the game....they sat in the lower east corner of the north endzone

they were waiting at field level when the game ended and got to see the players run up to the bleachers and greet the band and students along with a couple players play instruments with the band--- that's a recruiting visit!!!!

FYI....you know how Zook filled in the O-line?..He converted one DE (Fulton) and got a transfer (Millington) ...that's how you add upperclassmen to the trenches

I think Zook gets the college game alot more than Weis at this point. Weis seems to make better on field decisions, but there is more to the college game than that.