View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Would you give a rebate for the I-Phone?

bernie,

Yeah man I can't explain it. I was a grocery store cashier a long time ago and I had no problem if people used coupons. I mean hell, I was going home at the same time whether they used them or not. This was even back before we could scan them, we had to manually enter the savings.

The problem was that it's a very real stereotype that heavy coupon users are usually extremely cheap people who will milk the system to their benefit to the point of exhaustion. The zombie comment was no joke, those people had no life in their eyes as they grabbed their free gift and scurried out.

I had a customer once, an old lady called Shirley, who chronically gave me coupons for items she didn't buy. It didn't bother me much because someone else certainly bought those items and didn't use the coupon savings so whatever.

But then Shirley got so bad that she was giving me piles of coupons and after spending about $10 I was punching in $12 in savings and supposed to give her money back? For stuff she didn't even buy? I ended up shutting that program down. Not long after that the system was upgraded to where you could scan coupons and it would determine whether you had purchased the item or not, but prior to that it was easily exploitable.