Thread: Let's Read
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Let\'s Read

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to suggest that we start a reading club of sorts to see if we can learn a few things together.

My thoughts are that we could all read a book, have a discussion leader do a chapter by chapter review (maybe opening discussion by posting about 1 chapter every couple of days), summary and discussion... with the intent of creating a basic plan of action around whatever the subject of the book might be. We can then modify, clarify and expand on this plan with each book read as new information adds to our knowledge.

First, is there any interest in doing this?

Second, post some books you think would be good for this... and the order you think would be best to read them. (my thought would be to start with a basic book on personal finance and then move on to specific areas of investment types and styles that people are interested in)

Third, are there any books that you would want to lead the discussion?

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terrific idea; I'd be interested. Along with the others who've suggested it thusfar, The Intelligent Investor would be highest on my list as well, and it seems like a logical place to start. I've gotten the audiobook version of it and listened to it that way, but I was planning to read it from the written book now anyway (basically I saw the audiobook as a way to get a broad understanding in my head before really getting the book under my belt). Also, the existence of an Intelligent Investor thread on here as a sticky would likely be a useful thing for all those "what books should I read" posts that this forum gets.

I would also be open to reading other books, though.

-bb.