View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Re: who does tOSU play in the title game?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So had Va Tech lost to a mediocre team by 40, it would almost be better for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's why the H2H argument is flawed. Losing to a mediocre team should never be > losing to a really good team. Other things being equal you'd put LSU above Va. Tech because of that game, but other things aren't equal. LSU lost at home to a crap team with everything on the line, and Va. Tech killed all the bad teams they played.

That being said I'd probably still put LSU slightly ahead of Va. Tech but I definitely think Va. Tech > Georgia, USC and Oklahoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it was somewhat close game sure

but a 41 point beating? come on, LSU>>>>>Va Tech

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the reason this fails. If we were comparing two roughly equivalent teams, and one of those teams happened to beat the other one by 41 points, then its a no-brainer that they should get to go. But that isnt what we are doing. We are comparing Team A that managed to beat Team B by 41 and STILL isnt better than them, and Team B which managed to lose by 41 to Team A and STILL isnt worse than them. So the 41 point loss is already taken into consideration. If we ignored that loss, VaTech would be WAY ahead of LSU. It is that loss that makes them roughly equal.

So you have to find a new criterion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I actually kind of like this argument. I still think LSU > Va Tech but this does cast some doubt on the strength of the "just look at the h2h matchup". Well played sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like EITHER of those teams for the NC actually (although I personally enjoy both of them and like to watch them play and wouldnt mind them making it) I think it should be USC but I think my argument is still a valid objection to the H2H problem.