View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Conjecture and Question

Okay, I'll try the other side since nobody else has, and because it's what I believe. First let me state my conjecture: In the situation Mason described, your expectation probably does not double if your chip count does. However there are times when it can double and more. Therefore, Mason's conjecture that it definitely does not double is incorrect.

Basically, I think that the SKILL ADJUSTMENT factor in A_PLUS's equation can change value when your chips stack does. I don't think anyone will argue that having a bigger stack allows you to make more +EV plays, especially on the bubble.

If the game is such that the gain you get from having a big stack at bubble time (or at other times) is sufficiently large, your expectation can double (or even triple, theoretically) when you double up. This gain may be different depending on tourney structure, or the tendencies of your opponents.

As an extreme example, let's say we're 25 handed, with 20 spots paying. Blinds 100/200.

You have 6000 chips and everyone else's stack is between 3500 and 4500.

Everyone is trying to make the money desperately. So desperately, in fact, that if the pot is raised in front of them by someone who covers them, they will fold any hand but AA. If they cover the raiser, they will play a much more 'standard' game.

Of course this is a huge exaggeration of most real players' tendancies, but think of the massive advantage you gain in having 6000 chips compared to having 3000. This hopefully shows that a much smaller but very real advantage exists when you have a big stack in more realistic scenarios. This advantage may sometimes be enough to counter the effects of the standard equity assumptions most of us have.

Edit: 2 more points.

Your edge doesn't stop when the bubble bursts either, as people are attempting to climb the prize ladder and will still fear you.

If what I'm saying is true, the implications would be strange and counter intuative. In a situation where doubling up would more than double your equity, it would be +EV for two players next to each other to decide to go all in blind the first time it was folded around to them in the blinds. This makes me doubt my conclusion a little bit, but I'd like to hear what others have to say.