View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Have a set. Spew?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd much rather make a bluff out of a hand that I was mucking unless I play it like this than a hand that has very good implied odds etc etc vs his opening range.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is that against players with wide opening ranges, you actually don't have very good implied odds because they won't have a hand good enough to stack off every time you flop a set. As villain's opening range gets wider and wider, a 3-bet becomes more and more preferable to a flat. Against villians with tight ranges, a 3-bet is bad because they will fold less often, and a flat is good because they'll have better hands on average, giving you better implied odds to setmine. Against villains with loose opening ranges, a 3-bet becomes better because they'll fold to it more often, and a call becomes worse because they won't stack off to your set as often. There are certain villains who open wide ranges and don't suck postflop who I'd rather fold against here than flat. However, the majority microstakes is not this kind of player, which is why a flat is best against an unknown.

By the way Matrix, I'd just like to say that you've made some good points and I think this is a really good discussion. I get more out of things like this than just straight hand critiques, so thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]