View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Have a set. Spew?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see a difference between 77 and an SC - either way, it usually "flops badly and turns into air".

[/ QUOTE ]

76s hits paydirt on a 3 flush board when we flop a flush a 589 89T 345 458 board on 66x 77x 666 and 777 flop - thats not a lot of flops out of all the possible combinations.

77 makes a strong hand and NOT a draw on ANY flop with a 7 in it. That sc is "turning into air" waaaaaaay more often than your small pair is. Also 77 will sometimes (rarely yes) win a SD UI - 76s almost never does.

Even when you do have a sc and you do flop an OESD or a gs+fd or a fd most of the time that draw is going to miss. Vs solid opponents draws are hugely unprofitable OOP so we can't play them and should be folding our sc hands preflop - Once in a while it's a great idea to take a hand you were going to throw away anyway and try to make something of it by bluffing with it - if you make this play with a hand that you would have played anyway you are harming your winrate.

Whenever you 3bet light your running the risk that villain will 4bet you all-in (or 4bet you enough to pretty much totally commit you to going all in on a later street) if villain 4bets here we have to throw 77 in the muck - thats BAD cos it means villain probably had AK/QQ+ and if we had flat called AND flopped a set we would have stacked the villain and instead of booking a 12bb loss we could have booked a 100bb win. That is why I think 3betting here is horrible. Yes most of the time he is opening lesser hands and won't even call preflop but I'd much rather make a bluff out of a hand that I was mucking unless I play it like this than a hand that has very good implied odds etc etc vs his opening range.