View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Science Education in America: Why I\'m Homeschooling My Kid in Scie

[ QUOTE ]
Uh... His point is that any sub shops that DO survive must have some advantage over the free ones. Not that the free ones make the for-pay sub shops better magically somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that the market as a whole would be stronger if the free government shop was not there. The sub shops that DO survive (if there are any) do so DESPITE the enormous artificial competitive barrier, and would be better still if the artificial free sub shop did not exist.

If you agree that magic should not enter the equation, why exactly will private sub shops perform better now? They just weren't trying before?

[ QUOTE ]
Jam's point, though, is that the best private schools should already exist and getting rid of the public school system will just create a bunch of mediocre private schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Jam's "point" is as poorly thought out as your defense of it. The best private schools "should" already exist in maybe the figments of your own confusion. But in reality, the best private schools do not already exist, because they face so many artificial barriers. Fair competition is the solution, not the problem.

I foresaw people maybe quibbling with the merits of my sub/school analogy, but not actually taking the stance that the private sub market will be improved when you introduce an artificial barrier. Wow.