View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Ask WhoIam anything about living in Vientiane, Laos

I don't have a problem with tuk tuks, I just think the drivers should be shot. From the second I walk outside, the air is filled with people shouting "TUK-TUK!" at me. I used to be polite but now I just say "no" with mixture of disgust and contempt. Half the time I still get the inevitable "you want something? Marijuana? Lady?"

One of these days I'm going to completely loose it and start screaming "Look goddamnit, if I wanted a [censored] tuk tuk I would go to one of the many tuk tuks by the side of the road. Since I'm walking by your vehicle without saying anything, no, I clearly do not need a [censored] tuk tuk." This would be while I'm stabbing him. Don't even get me started on when guy number 10 in a line of 10 tuk tuks yells out "TUK-TUK!" after he's just seen me turn down two other people ten feet away. That's right [censored], there was something so incredibly [censored] compelling about your tuk tuk that I couldn't wait to jump in it. Or maybe those ten feet of walking totally exhaused me to the point where I couldn't even conceive of walking to my destination.

Ok, serious answer time. There's no way this gets approved. There's no alternate service apart from a few taxis that are actual cars and these just try to charge white people ridiculous fees. The locals need tuk tuks for transportation, especially things too big to fit on a motorbike. The big tuk tuks ("jumbos") serve as shuttle busses and run fixed routes. I have seen more buses recently, but by "new" they mean "new to Vientiane." These things are over 30 years old. Traffic isn't much of a problem except for a few areas at rush hour.