View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Kindle (question for Mason)

[ QUOTE ]
I still want to own a library (a few thousand books) with an actual book-shelf.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think anyone is suggesting that 2+2 stop publishing paper versions.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
reduced production costs

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. Although reduced as in less paper and not having to pay free-lance artists, there will be an increase in marketing, research, and reformatting old books to fit this new device.

[/ QUOTE ]

less production cost per ebook versus the production cost per paper book. of course total production costs will go up if you publish both varieties, but the average cost will go down.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
more profit for the publisher

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. People are not going to pay $30 for a book after they pay for these machines.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course they won't pay $30 for ebooks. but because it costs less to produce the average ebook, 2+2 can lower the price considerably. the end result is a lower price for ebook customers and greater profits for 2+2. win-win.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
greater market share

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. People are going to buy books weather it is book or file format.

[/ QUOTE ]

fewer and fewer young people are buying printed books. more and more young people are into electronic everything. if you don't put out ebooks, you'll reach a smaller share of the poker playing public.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
easier to update and correct

[/ QUOTE ]

As in rewriting the story?

[/ QUOTE ]

As in correcting errors and updating the material.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quicker to market

[/ QUOTE ]

This would destroy the book business.

[/ QUOTE ]

ebooks are coming whether or not 2+2 gets involved. if their popularity destroys the printed book business, then that is a good reason to get involved in the ebook business.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
reach younger audience

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it matters here. The audience is there and not expandable. Certain people like to read, and certain others don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

certain people like to read printed books and certain people prefer ebooks. most younger people prefer ebooks.