View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 02:38 AM

Default Re: What are you proud of as an American?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Safest country ever for religious minorities.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably mean safest country ever for Christians.

"I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God." (George Bush Sr. / interview with reporter Rob Sherman / Chicago on August 27, 1987)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is still a very safe contry to be a religious minority in relatively speaking. It's not common for people to be killed or severely beaten for thier religious beliefs in this country unlike many places in africa, the middle east and asia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don’t get me wrong. I totally agree with everything you said (including with ‘very safe relatively speaking’). I have argued to BigPoppa with ‘safest’ and ‘ever’ words in his quotation. For that statement one should use the best examples possible, not the worst IMO. In other words, it would be hard to find any country in Europe where religious majority is so powerful and privileged against other minorities (either in government or media or in the public). Knowing this, using ‘safest’ and especially ‘ever’ words there sounds like unsuitable propaganda.