View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

[ QUOTE ]

To start with less than 40% of young people go to university. So for 60% the education is off the table. Of the 40% who go at least 20% don't have any reason to be in university (80% at some schools). A large portion of these end up with joke degrees like Psych and Sociology which again means they will never have a career but now they have student debt to worry about.

Most people leave university worse off.

[/ QUOTE ]
This pretty much sums me up right here except that graduate school changed how I think and see the world for the better. Problem is my graduate degree is in public administration which makes finding jobs difficult especially without experience. Adding to the fact that a political science undergrad degree was a stupid choice. Should have went with statistics or planning but a professor talked me into it. Oddly enough a planning degree could have landed me three jobs right out of school...

I am not so sure about had no business being at a university in terms of intelligence but I will say that in high school I never done any work and was never challenged so this led to grades that could get me into any school except for places like Duke University or even UNC Chapel Hill. NC State was the best school who would accept me. I guess if I knew how to think like I learned in graduate school things would be different but I had never been pushed to do so.

Now the problem is I left the University with a masters degree that is hard to find a job with and a ton of debt. Am I worse off? Right now yes, in terms of intellectual ability, no. In terms of future money making potential? No. Problems I face, narrow job market in public sector notorious for not having high pay on the federal level but pay is plenty good on the local level. For example the city manager of Greensboro, NC makes well over 150k a year. Now if I want to bypass that and really make some money then my best bet is to play poker or go into business for myself. Owning a small business is what I wanted all along as that is what most of my family has made their living from and it will be funny if that is how I end up.