View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Post a childhood memory

You too, huh? Yeah, got nailed by the same disease, Valentine's Day, '80.

Blew out my eardrums but left everything else intact. Anger didn't set in until my teens. Anyway.

Here's another story. Dad's in construction, we're on-site before the official opening of the SkyDome. You know, just suits and some invited workers in weekend clothing, having pizza and whatever, I remember looking down lakeside and being told that they found lots of glass garbage while doing the initial preparations for the site.

That 50 years previously, that stretch of land was actually the lakeshore. Being with Dad, knowing he was a part of something truly big. Took me to a spot on the site, says this is gonna be home plate for the stadium.

And it's in every skyline picture of Toronto. Spent a lot of Saturdays on-site watching the workers build the Dome. It's not until recently I realized how fortunate I was to be a part of that experience. Every time I pass by, every time I go to a Jays game, it always feels like home, 'cause I know how much work went into building that stadium, that feeling of pride when I can say, you know what, my own Dad helped build that thing. It'll stand even after we're ashes and frozen patterns in spacetime.