View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: What do I do about a card marker?

Howdy folks. I haven't posted in here because I got paranoid of some of the suspects reading this and recognizing my name and the situation. But here's an update...

After much discussion with a few trusted people, we decided that it was likely accidental, but agreed that it was completely useless for gaining any sort of advantage. So the main annoyance is simple disrespect for me and my cards and the game.

Last night's game, two of the suspects were playing. I put a fresh setup on their table. When it broke, I checked, and the marks were there. So now it's down to two. One is one of the most likely, one is someone I don't think would do it intentionally but wouldn't rule out is inexperienced enough with live play to do it accidentally.

I sent out a mass email to everybody talking about the mark and saying I was annoyed and not to freakin' do it any more. I also let it be known that I had been tracking it and keeping marked setups out of play, and assured that it was completely useless as a cheating tool.

I then sent out a bcc email to the two people who were at all of the tables with freshly marked cards, implying that it was a somewhat larger group and that I had to use the information at my disposal and make them aware of the situation.

* One person wrote back saying he's here to learn and have fun, and if he was concerned with money he wouldn't be drinking and smoking. He mentioned that he avoids looking at other people's cards if they make them visible, etc. He said he wasn't offended at being accused and understood that I had to do what I could, and he appreciated that I took as many pains as I did.

* The other person wrote back saying that he has a huge edge here already and that marking cards would be like cheating little children.

So, hey, who knows, but now it's there and done. I suppose I could've waited one more week and either gotten them on separate tables or switched out setups when the second person arrived, but at least this way it's hopefully done. I'll still keep an eye out.

Good times.