View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Need Help: Betting Big Hands

[ QUOTE ]
This situation came up last night, and I would like advice for how to treat it in the future.

I am in the BB with AA, one limper, small blind completes, and I raise.

Flop comes A99, check, I bet, both fold.

I bet probably 95% of the time when I raise preflop, and 99% of the time when I flop big. Checking seems to be such a weak play, it sets off alarm bells in my head at least.

Is there anyway I can get by checking this flop and then the turn to hope to pick off one bet.

I raise in the SB with a ton of hands with only one limper, KQ+, 88+, etc, and would bet every flop with that range. Betting seems to not reveal anything about my hand, but checking does.....

Please enlighten me if I can ever check when my opponents are very likely to miss the whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this situation if you bet or don't bet it hardly matters because this situation hardly ever comes up. Bet and hope that somebody has a nine. Don't bet and hope that somebody takes a swing at the pot. So what, either way? You're talking about a bet you're trying to gain once in a blue moon.

What bothers me more is that 95% and 99%. I suppose that you suppose that that means they can't be sure what you have because you do the same thing everytime no matter what you have but, come on. You've got all the cards in this hand, almost certainly. Anyway, I don't like doing the same thing the same way every time but maybe that's just me.

Let's change the situation to 7 limpers which is more interesting. I think the 'nastiest' thing to do in that case is just bet. Not always, but usually. A few of them are going to call most times and, at these limits, against these players, they won't give you credit for the hand you've got.