View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Default The future of limit poker

It's interesting that over the period of time that I spent learning limit hold 'em, NL cash games steadily rose in popularity to the point where no one really plays limit anymore. Plenty of limit players have made the switch to NL, and I'm sure that number will continue to grow. What does that mean for us and our game? Are the fish going to follow suit? Or are we always going to have loose games, just fewer to choose from?

In the past two weeks I've started studying NL, by reading the book and playing the baby NL. I'm a "winning fish" in these games. It's so interesting to play NL because I can really feel the difference of playing a hand for it's implied odds than for it's actual worth, like we do in limit. I believe that this week's NL play has already seeped into my limit hame, making me a better player. It's like I have a better sense for when to fold.

Anyway, I'm happy to start this NL journey, partly because I think I'll be a better NL player due to my limit experience, and vice versa. So far, I prefer limit. I like the quick pace and not having to size your bets and raises. NL is pretty boring to me, but maybe that's just cuz I'm nut-peddling fish with a penchant for going all in with hands that can only get called by better hands. But I think the more I learn, the more I'll enjoy it.

I intend on playing both games, unlike others who appear to only want to play one or the other.

What do yous all think about this recent poker trend?