View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How is anybody ever responsible for the actions of someone else (not speaking legally)?

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you compare off-handed trolling of a bum to premeditated harassment of a child?

[/ QUOTE ]
The offense may be more despicable, but imo fundamentally nobody is ever responsible for the actions of another. You can't control what other people do, just like nobody can control what you do. Your actions are your own. It's pretty easy to shirk off that responsibility by blaming circumstance or environment or outside forces, but everybody's actions are still their own responsibility and nobody else's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something to consider here is that I think it's pretty well known that children who are raped at a young age are mentally affected by it and their relationships will suffer perpetually unless they receive a LOT of counseling treatment.

I think something like this argues against what you're saying. While, in theory, they control their own actions, it is a pretty universal thing for them to all have certain problems thereafter in their life (e.g., sexual addiction).

So I don't think your statement is quite as universal as you're trying to imply.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since we're on a philosophical level, I guess I would say that just because someone may be more prone to certain behaviour than others does not mean they are forced to do it. My chemical balance is different than anybody else's anmecause us to be drawn to certain behaviour, but that doesn't mean I am forced to act on it. That choice is still mine. It's often easier and less painful to pawn those bad choices off, esp if there was some mental chain reaction put into motion by something someone said to me or did to me or whatever, but in the end my choices are mine and as such I should bear the full responsibility for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your choices are your own. But you cant choose a path you cant see. And for a lot of abused/molested people I don't think they see a choice for some of their actions. Hence why they need counceling and such, they have to learn there actually are choices to be made.