View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Just A Reminder About Religious People

[ QUOTE ]
Once every few months I have to repost this because people keep on staring threads without making mention of it.

Their are two types of "believers". Those who believe the Packers would win today because they just "know it in their hearts" (and also have some good, but what they realize are non convincing reasons), and those who cannot believe that any non biased fan could possibly think the Cowboys should be favored.

Most religious people are the first type. The ones who are members of a religion that allow such an admission usually admit it. Members of other religions are less apt to. But even most of them are deep down the first type. At least I think so. God help us if I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

David, this is only relevant in some cases. (Also, I agree with tame that dichotomies almost always indicate sloppy logic.)

When a theist acts on a set of beliefs, it's generally acceptable to assume that he really does hold those beliefs. Even if he only hopes the beliefs are true, arguments based on those beliefs still tend to apply. Particularly when one of the beliefs is that those who disagree will be tortured forever. In this case, the former group of theists "know in their hearts," or at least hope fervently, that those who think differently deserve to suffer the most extreme torments imaginable.

This is a shocking and ugly belief. And they don't get a pass on it because they only pay lip service, either.