View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

[ QUOTE ]
Moeller was a drunken idiot and didn't represent the university well. There's more to being a coach than wins and losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but I was referring to on the field record, not off the field conduct. I have a small soft spot for Gary Moeller for one reason: His first game. Early September 1990 in South Bend. UM had to replace most of the offense. New QB (Grbac) new WR's (Desmond and Alexander) and a new TB (Jon Vaughn). As an underdog we came out in a no-huddle offense, totally catching ND off guard. The Irish were totally unprepared, as you can imagine, since Bo wouldn't think of trying to trick the other team. That would be unethical.

Using the no-huddle with young, unproven offensive weapons, we went up and down the field against a good ND defense. Jon Vaughn ran wild, Desmond came of age. Then, of course, we gave the game away, blowing a 10 point second half lead. But at least once, a UM team actually tried to trick the opponent. And for that, I don't hate Gary Moeller as much as others do.