Thread: Opening a Bar
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Opening a Bar

Thremp,

You're one of the more intelligent guys around the forums and I am sure you can find a better investment than this. A few more thoughts:

1)Dance clubs are totally hit or miss. What music to play? How big should the dance floor be (hint: as small as you can make it)? For the most part dancing is going to reduce people's time spent buying booze. Where you place your actual bar(s) inside is going to have a big impact on profits with a dance club.

2)Bar-hopping might seem great because you're basically assured of at least some business but for an owner bar-hopping is unwanted unless you run the place where the customer's spend the most time.

3)I would never advise someone own and operate a bar until they have worked in one.

4)Partnership businesses can be stressful. It sounds like you're going to be handling most of the managerial duties and he's going to decide on the entertainment. So he's going to have to come to you to validate purchasing x. You will inevitably have to say no to something and this may cause conflict. I also don't like it when you say he is "sketchy".

So now I am sounding like a pessimist but I think some of the reasons are valid. However if you really have the desire to go through with this and you think a dance club is an unfilled niche of your area go for it. Just play it like any other gamble, only risk what you're willing to lose/know you can't get back. As with any alcohol/food/restaurant/etc establishment where physical patronage is required, luck is going to play a factor.