View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: The late but official 2007 NYJ offseason thread

Brett,

I've been waiting for you to start this thread for months. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think the Jets should and will stay away from most of the big name free agents.

I agree with you that defense is our top priority.

We need to get bigger and faster up front. Kimo looks like he will be back for another season but I'm sure he will wind up being a role player. Robertson can't get it done at NT. He had some flashes last year, but he isn't ideal there in the 3-4. So...I'm hoping the Jets can grab a NT early in the draft and then maybe see if Robertson can play DE in the 3-4 this year. Titus Adams will probably get a long look in camp at NT as well after sitting out all last year with an injury.

The other glaring need on defense is Cornerback. Barrett is terrible. Dyson is decent and Miller just can't handle the role of being an every down corner. Bringing back Poteat was a good move but he isn't a starter. One of our other top picks needs to be spent on a CB (which this draft looks good for).

Rhodes is $. I'm actually hoping for a bounce back year for Coleman. His appendectomy early in camp I think hurt him for the rest of the year. Maybe coming in healthy to camp will do him wonders and he can return to his form from a couple of years ago. Safety is the least of our concerns. Look out for Smith too in his sophomore year.

We are okay at LB. I'd love to see Porter in a Jets uniform though and then maybe swing Hobson to the inside or stick with Barton there. Porter - Vilma - Hobson/Barton - Thomas. Not too shabby. I'm hoping Schlegel can make some strides this year and work his way into the rotation. I saw way too much of Chatham last year.

On offense we need some backs. Neon Leon is not an every down back. Houston is a decent depth guy but they need a guy who can come in and handle 15-20 touches a game no problem. I'm hoping we can snag someone in the draft here as well with our 2nd, 2nd round selection. Although I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Dillon in for a year or two here.

Askew is gone. I say good riddance. That said we need a couple of FB's. This might be a position they can address in FA. I'm eyeing Mughelli from the Ravens. He is a good blocker. Getting home town hero Leonard in the 3rd might not be a bad use of pick either.

You are right about TE. We need another one. I like Baker too and I think he has pretty good hands. But we need a TE who can block. That way Schotty might be able to get something going with 2 TE sets.

We are probably going to lose starting RT - Clement in FA. That's okay as long as they bring someone else in (Jones gives us some depth but he isn't starter material). Also, Kendall isnt getting any younger so maybe they can grab an OG late in the draft.

Wide Receiver we should be fine at. I'm hoping JMac is gone but I wouldn't mind keeping him if he agrees to a pay cut. I want to see more of Brad Smith lined up at WO this year. Coles, Cotchery, McCareins, Smith, Dwight. That's just fine with me.

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Chad. Clemens should be the #2. They will probably bring in another veteran, but I wouldn't be opposed to making Smith the #3 and opening up a roster spot for someone else.