View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Deciding between NLHTAP and PNLv1.

I have a gift certificate to B&N and I am looking to buy one of these two books (NLHTAP and PNLv1), as they seem to be the best for cash game strategy. From what I can tell, NLHTAP covers a wide range of specific situations (e.g. a chapter on blocking bets) while PNL is slightly more general and theoretical (e.g. the commitment threshold).
My aim is to able to put my hand range against another hand range and then take the most +EV "line" under the given circumstances (e.g. against LAG, multiway, blah blah blah). That said, I am not experienced enough yet and often can't understand why people reply with "standard" in the HSNL forum. Apparently PNL deals with this general formula precisely by way of the "REM process". However, I am afraid that the book has a deficiency in the variety of situations it treats, unlike NLHTAP which covers many situations.
So while PNL covers that which interests me, the REM process, NLHTAP will familiarize me with the "standard" in many situations.
Also, I love discussions like the one in this post: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=5348855
Are there any books with similar material or a similar level of rigor to this?
I am fairly unsure about the accuracy of my statements regarding these books since I haven't read them, so any and all comments are welcome.
I hope my first post on 2p2 gets a lot of replies.