View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: \"Jesus\" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

[ QUOTE ]
You pay a huge rake, you play your ass off for a week, for a once in a life time cash, and you're expected to just give away hundreds of thousands of dollars you don't have to? That's madness.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's been a lot of dealer-bashing in this thread, a lot of comments about how anyone could do that job and they should be happy with what they get. Now, let's be even-handed and refrain from fetishizing what it means to win the WSOP. It's a great accomplishment to be proud of, but it also has aspects of winning the lottery. Because of the size of the field, it's not exactly the cream rising to the top every time, and I think we all get that.

You might work 45 or 50 years in a typical adult life. How many people even come close to earning $8 million in all that time? So let's not get started about "playing your ass off for a week" like it's such an amazing accomplishment that you clearly earned every dime.

Every time you leave a tip in life, you're giving away money "you don't have to." Yet most of us do. I agree it's not right to be judgmental about how much someone tips, but your post makes it sound like the very thought of "giving away" hard-earned money as a tip is somehow wrong. I think that's going too far.