View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: \"Jesus\" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

[ QUOTE ]
The dealers only recieve 65% of the 1.8%, it is shared between over 700+ dealers and I wish I knew the total number of downs so you could calculate exactly how much each dealer would recieve. yet again this is not about the ammount, it is about CF knowing exactly how it is all diced up and this is the 2nd time that i know of of him convincing someone to not tip based on a false statement meant to mislead

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know Chris Ferguson personally, but I think you're over the top in saying that he meant to mislead anyone.

The fact is, 1.8% gets withheld from the prize pool for tips. Now, you're right, part of that goes to the dealers and part of that goes to the staff. What you're missing is that, from the perspective of us players, that's not a particularly meaningful distinction. (I understand why it's meaningful to you, naturally.) To most of us, a tip is a tip.

If Ferguson had explained it 100%, I guess he would have said "You've already tipped $100,000 to the dealers and $50,000 to the staff, so I would recommend zero." You agree that that would be a truthful statement, right? It's not clear to me that Yang's reaction would have been, "Oh, I've only given $100,000 to the dealers, I should definitely give more!"

And I really don't think it's fair to say Ferguson meant to mislead him, as if he was thinking, "Hey, I'll tell him the dealers got $150,000 instead of $100,000, that way he'll be more likely to give him nothing!" I think Ferguson's sole interest was in making sure this relative newcomer, a nice and likable guy, wasn't misled into thinking there would be no tip if he didn't contribute something more. It surely makes no difference to Ferguson if Yang gives the dealers $10,000 or $20,000 or nothing, so why would he try to "mislead"?