View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Dining in Boston

I ate at the Temple Bar in Cambridge on Mass. Ave. between Harvard and Porter Sqs. They serve dinner until pretty late, and parking is better than Harvard Sq./downtown.

Inside, it has a very NYC feel. Very dark with exposed brick IIRC. The bar talent it attracts is above average, in the 24-40 range. I think the room is very comfortable - half the tables are semi-circle booths; I could easily spend an evening drinking with a group here. Also, our server was very good, very knowledgeable.

I had:
MAINE CRAB CRUSTED OYSTERS - $12
WELLFLEET OYSTERS, MISO AIOLI, TOBIKO, PICKLED RADISH
This was very good. Not exceptional, but certainly not disappointing.

GRILLED PORK LOIN “RECADO ROJO” - $19
GREEN CHILE MASHED POTATO, QUESO FRESCO, CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
This was fantastic. The pork loin was a bit fatty, but cooked perfectly. Also, a very healthy portion.

PINK PEPPER SCALLOPS - $23
PARISIAN GNOCCHI, ENGLISH PEAS, CHANTERELLE MUSHROOMS, MEYER LEMON BUERRE NOISETTE
My girlfriend's order. The scallops were cooked perfectly and the gnocchi were very good.

MOLTEN VALRHONA CHOCOLATE CAKE - 9
PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE, PEANUT BUTTER CUP ICE CREAM POP
Surprisingly good. Stay for dessert.

All in all, I think this place is one of the better values around and a solid place to bring a date. The kitchen obviously knows what they're doing, and the menu is varied but not overambitious. There isn't anything on the menu I wouldn't order.