View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Learning to communicate

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting problem. What sorts of "dumb" things do you say? If you're in a situation where some girl asks you "who is the most brilliant physicist of all time?" do you say "you have nice breasts?" or do you say "Isaac Hawking?"

[/ QUOTE ]
definitely more like the second

[ QUOTE ]
When I started law practice I spoke waaaaaaay too fast. It took several sessions on videotape before I realized that most or all of my audiences would be patient enough to listen to me speak slowly -- and that so doing is 9849578340 times more coherent and persuasive than my natural rapid cadence. I liked that suggestion.

You might try posting a short videotape of yourself in conversation around here to assist in the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I need to do something like this. I won't promise a video for you guys, but I do understand the concept and I've already thought about things to record.

[ QUOTE ]
Is your situation at all audience-dependent? I read what you said above that it happens all the time, but is it less severe with your mom than a stranger? How about with small children, where you might be hyperconscious of setting your premises carefully?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ehn, not really, but of your choices I would say I definitely speak most easily to small children. At least, to my younger siblings, whom I tend to assume are infinitely brilliant and unprejudiced (so I may treat them differently subconsciously).

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, most conversations are thoroughly inane. You might be surprised at how much insight you're perceived as offering.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I mean, people have indicated to me that I'm pretty respected in real life, in terms of people knowing that I am not just spouting nonsense, that I at least have something to impart. I just feel frustrated because I'm only getting across like 20% of what I'm shooting for. (example: no one can ever tell when I'm joking.)