View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Learning to communicate

Interesting problem. What sorts of "dumb" things do you say? If you're in a situation where some girl asks you "who is the most brilliant physicist of all time?" do you say "you have nice breasts?" or do you say "Isaac Hawking?"

When I started law practice I spoke waaaaaaay too fast. It took several sessions on videotape before I realized that most or all of my audiences would be patient enough to listen to me speak slowly -- and that so doing is 9849578340 times more coherent and persuasive than my natural rapid cadence. I liked that suggestion.

You might try posting a short videotape of yourself in conversation around here to assist in the discussion.

Is your situation at all audience-dependent? I read what you said above that it happens all the time, but is it less severe with your mom than a stranger? How about with small children, where you might be hyperconscious of setting your premises carefully?

BTW, most conversations are thoroughly inane. You might be surprised at how much insight you're perceived as offering.