View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Pre-Nup: Terrible Idea?

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think that if you are seriously considering a pre-nup, you should seriously question whether you should be getting married.

I realise that around 50% of marriages will end in divorce. Many of these people probably got married for the wrong reasons (societal pressures, shortsightedness, etc). It's a pretty massive commitment that shouldnt be taken lightly.

If your getting married for other reasons (for a green card, or just a big party, etc) then the other party should be understanding of the need for a pre-nup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't personally have one, and i actually don't wish I did, but i think they're a good idea for any couple where one has much more money than the other going into the marriage. Romance is great and all, but at some point realism and maturity have to set in. Most people at least know someone close to them who has had to deal with divorce. It is a pretty awful experience. The pre-nup eliminates a lot of this pain, if God forbid it were to happen.

I don't think it means you don't love someone if you suggest a pre-nup. It shows a sense of realism and an awareness that sometimes in life things don't work out. If your spouse-to-be can't handle this, then she may not be for you.

If i were about to marry some heiress to a fortune worth hundreds of millions, I would EXPECT to sign a pre-nup. It's part of life.